view of TOC Pierce wood rimmed rear wheel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joseph Martin

USA
2069 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  18:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a close-up of the beautiful natural finish wood rim with pin stripe.

Dick Rath

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  09:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bike has been sold. The transaction was made thru an eBay auction that ran for 7 days. As in the past my personal experiences in both selling and purchasing thru eBay have been very positive. Their fees are reasonable and their association with PayPal make transactions efficient, safe, and relatively simple.

I believe that eBay could make it simpler ( easier) for users interested in buying or bidding on antique or vintage bicycles and component parts to find the particular page that gets them to actual listings. With the ever increasing number of buyers and sellers that use the eBay auction or "buy-it-now" program, it would seem a no brainer that a specific "bicycles" section be included in the category section, from there sub-categories might include antique and vintage. After all, if potential buyers have difficulty finding the listings, nobody wins.

My view of our own "For Sale/Wanted/Trade" forum on our website is that it will improve dramatically when the posting of pictures is made at least as simple as eBay's process. As it exists today it is a pitiful reflection on The Wheelmen's
interest in expanding its membership and dulls our recruitment efforts significantly which today seems limited to word-of-mouth. We have such an incredible membership that consistently promotes the benefits of belonging to our organization; what greater tool could we have when talking to prospective members than a website packed with great pictures and advertisements accompanied by clear pictures of whats being offered for sale.

Go to Top of Page

Giovanni LiCalsi

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  01:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said!

Kind regards,
Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Mike Cates

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  07:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dick,
It was enjoyable talking with you on the phone yesterday. Your attention to detail on the bicycles I have seen that get posted are truly works of art and reflect your love for these machines being brought back to their original splendor.
I appreciate you airing your concern for this website. I am positive, when it is updated for ease of posting photos by people such as myself who want to easily convey interesting things via photos, this website will become the "go to" for antique bicycle enthusiasts who have known and will discover The Wheelmen posses a wealth of knowledge and are now conveying this even more so through increased numbers of photos posted.
On that subject, it would be nice to have a forum column dedicated to just photos with descriptions to pull up examples of bicycles and related paraphernalia for collecting, restoration, and reference purposes.

Mike Cates, CA.

Edited by - Mike Cates on 03/17/2018 07:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Dick Rath

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  09:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Great idea: a forum that specifically includes a photographic record of members bikes with descriptions, details, specifications, dates and place of manufacture, options, etc. would be an enormous resource for all of us as well as a wonderful recruitment tool. I think that perhaps a discussion of this warrants some exposure on the "Wheelmen Talk" forum to drum up interest and get ideas on what such a forum might look like; it's format, and presentation.

Similarly a separate question and answer forum would seem to me to be a logical addition, especially if it included pictures, drawings, and sketches to clarify both the questions and the answers. How many times have members asked questions that, had they included an accompanying picture or drawing, would have elicited information and meaningful answers that otherwise would have been ignored or misunderstood.

I too enjoyed our chat on the phone last evening; perhaps some day we'll continue it face to face. Your brief description of the Ammonia-gas wood bending apparatus was interesting. If you have the original article with drawings that you could email to me I'd love to consider putting one together
someday.

Dick
Go to Top of Page

Mike Cates

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  09:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dick,
Thanks for the kudos and posting your affirmation of a photo forum.
I know some members are very private and don't want the public to know what they have or just share there collections with friends only and I respect that. To address this concern for privacy,this photo forum could be "voluntary" in contribution to it with the option of keeping the owner's name private if they want to contribute.
A photo/description/Q&A forum would be an asset to The Wheelmen website and I know the educational value would be immeasurable.

Mike Cates, CA.

Edited by - Mike Cates on 03/17/2018 09:59:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page