restoration close up of crank
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joseph Martin

USA
2069 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  13:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a close up of the crank and rear wheel with tire on Dick Rath's 1907 TOC Pierce:

Craig Allen

1090 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  15:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dick, Just curious but what do you do with copper and nickel build up on the sprocket teeth? It's been my experience that unless you are dealing with a plater who knows exactly what he is doing (which is obvious you are) too much build up will cause the chain to start riding up on the teeth and will try to jump off.
Go to Top of Page

Joseph Martin

USA
2069 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  13:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig, I can't speak for Dick but I know what you're talking about with the plating build-up. I had that problem on my Whizzer using a one-inch pitch chain (some call them 'skip tooth'). To cure the problem I painstakingly ground each tooth on the frame side to prevent destroying the perfect looking plating job. Next time I plate it I might grind it more before plating.
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Dick Rath

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  13:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig,
The plater I've been using for about 7 years now does seen to know what he is doing. I know the sprockets are stripped to bare metal and polished prior to
the copper and nickel process. I've not seen any problems of the chain riding up on the teeth. While I really do not believe there might be excess material build up the majority of sprockets I send to the plater do have prior use wear on the teeth so perhaps the plating recovers some of that wear. Speaking with a few owners of my restored bicycle that confess to riding them hard, the problem you describe has not been mentioned.
Regards,
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Joseph Martin

USA
2069 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  07:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dick, my plater that I had used for 50 years turned over the business to his son, I think the son will do the same quality work as the father did, but I haven't had him do any plating yet, time will tell.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page