Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Wheelmen Talk
 Velocipede - authentic or replica/reproduction???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rambler

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  16:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen quite a few Velocipedes but never one constricted quite like this one. Some little details/features make me question it's authenticity. What is the opinion of other Wheelmen that know velocipedes. Authentic or replica/reproduction???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302649078041

Keith Pariani

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  17:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live 30 miles from the dealer that is representing the bike. It's on consignment to his shop. The owner is on vacation in Spain and will not return to the states until sometime in April. See the estimated delivery on ebay.
I have requested to see the bike prior to auction ending. The dealer refuses. He does not possess the item.
Looking at the handlebars, the grips do not match. The left side does not have a bezel. The right side has a hex nut attachment. Hex nuts were not mainstream until the 1880s.
Pedals are spools, The riders feet would slide off easily.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Cates

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  20:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith,
I am not too versed on Velocipedes but have you seen wood spokes put into iron hubs before? I have seen spool pedals. This one is missing leg rests also on front frame extension. Where are the felloe plates at the felloe joints?

I am curious also.
Maybe Lorne Shields can chime in here as he has researched Velocipedes extensively and I value his knowledge.

I have three Velocipedes in various states of completeness that I will list For Sale in the future and wonder what makes they are. I'm positive they are authentic though.

Mike Cates, CA.

Edited by - Mike Cates on 02/26/2018 20:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Keith Pariani

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  04:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at one of the posted photos shows the left side pedal is attached by means of a drift pin, which I believe is more modern technology. Also, it's a round shaft. I have only seen square shaft axles and the crank is a fixed with a square head bolt.
Adjustable pedals on a curved crank?
As for the leg rests being absent, I thought the same. But, I Demorest Velocipede does not have the rests present.
Go to Top of Page

Rambler

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  05:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering that it sold for $7,300.00 someone must have thought it was original.

Edited by - Rambler on 03/03/2018 19:22:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page