Americans talk funny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joseph Martin

USA
2093 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  09:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the other day I heard the weather man on our local TV station tell the viewers "spring is just around the corner, it will arrive as soon as we unthaw all the ice and snow."
Unthaw indeed! we have had three months of 'unthawing' that is why we still have winter around here! I asked my mother-in-law if the use of 'unthaw' in place of "melt" is an old fashioned expression. She said "no, everyone says that" ! ! !

So, while I wait for spring to arrive, I'll ponder whether or not I should continue to use "Irregardless".

Edited by - Joseph Martin on 02/12/2018 10:22:37

Giovanni LiCalsi

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  21:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís called the dumbing down of Americans...

Kind regards,
Giovanni

Edited by - Giovanni LiCalsi on 02/12/2018 21:53:19
Go to Top of Page

Joseph Martin

USA
2093 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, here is the dumbing down answer from the website "A Way With Words" where questions can be asked regarding our language.
The word unthaw goes way back to the 1500. It means exactly the same as thaw. However word-smiths say it shouldn't be used in formal writing or formal speech. Here is an interesting discussion at https://www.waywordradio.org/thaw-unthaw/

I remember when I was about ten years old, my dad told me brake cables don't 'unravel'. I was certain they do and wanted to argue my point but pop explained the meaning of ravel setting me straight for life.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page