The Wheelmen
The Wheelmen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Wheelmen Talk
 Website Updates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin

314 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  23:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Day Everyone,

Here are a few updates about the website.

We are working on setting up a new server for the site. This is very important because the current server is out of date and will no longer be supported soon.

We now have anew server. At the moment the new server is essentially https://www.thewheelmen.com

You can still get to the site here also:
http://www.thewheelmen.org

If yo look closely the site is actually bouncing back and forth between the two sites depending on which page we have updated so far.

We have added redirects to old pages incase people have hard coded them on other sites or social media.

When all the move is done (in the future) both .com and .org will go to the exact same place.

The most important update so far is that all the pages that are tied to database tables are on the new site now. This is a very important upgrade.

Here are the database driven pages:

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/statedivisions/statedivisions.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/officers/officers.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/publications/bulletins.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/bicyclebrands/bicycle-brands-companies.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/swapmeets/swapmeets.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/events/events.php

Additionally all of the Bulletins are now live pages instead of pdf documents. This makes it easier to read and update.

More to come in the future with updates to the forum. The forum or message board updates are difficult to do for multiple reasons. We are trying to take in to consideration all of the current issues.

Mark W. Scherer

Rambler

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  05:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Thank you for the progress update.

I do hope during the website updates that you can correct one issue I have always had with The Wheelmen website which is, when on any page it seems intuitive to me based on other websites that if I click on the "TheWheelmen" logo header on the top left of any page it should take me back to the main Wheelmen website home page regardless of which page I am currently on. The Wheelmen website header has never worked properly in this way so I must re-enter the Wheelmen URL every time I wish to return to the home page.

Thanks,
Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dick Rath

USA
241 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be too picky to note that on the "bicycle brands" spreadsheet format the column intended for "country" actually reads "county"? Perhaps it's been that way forever.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

314 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  13:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for letting us know about the spelling error. It is fixed!

Mark


quote:
Originally posted by Dick Rath

Would it be too picky to note that on the "bicycle brands" spreadsheet format the column intended for "country" actually reads "county"? Perhaps it's been that way forever.

Go to Top of Page

Giovanni LiCalsi

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  19:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please fix the dates on the Crescent Western Wheel Works.

Kind regards,
Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Admin

314 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  23:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed, 1891-1899
quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni LiCalsi

Please fix the dates on the Crescent Western Wheel Works.

Go to Top of Page

Admin

314 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  15:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson,

I am not sure that I understand you, because, I have just check most of the web pages on the wheelmen site and the logo on the top left, when clicked, in fact, already returns to the home page. And we have in the top Navigation, which also appears on almost all of the pages, has the first word in the menu, which is "Home", which also returns one to the home page. I am still going through the sections that have deep extra subpages. Perhaps some of these are missing the logo link to the home page. I will be on the lookout to find and repair any cases where the logo does not return the user to the home page.


quote:
Originally posted by Rambler

Mark,

Thank you for the progress update.

I do hope during the website updates that you can correct one issue I have always had with The Wheelmen website which is, when on any page it seems intuitive to me based on other websites that if I click on the "TheWheelmen" logo header on the top left of any page it should take me back to the main Wheelmen website home page regardless of which page I am currently on. The Wheelmen website header has never worked properly in this way so I must re-enter the Wheelmen URL every time I wish to return to the home page.

Thanks,
Tyson

Go to Top of Page

Rambler

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  10:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I just checked. The other day when I wrote that post, when clicking on the "TheWheelmen" logo it returned only an error message or did not take me back to the "Home" page. Today when I tried it. The pages ending in .com do return me to the "Home" page as they should. Those pages ending in .org still either return an error message or don't take me back to the "Home" page.

So it appears as the Wheelmen website transitions to the new .com extension this issue of the "TheWheelmen" logo not returning to the home page is being corrected.

Thank you,
Tyson



quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Tyson,

I am not sure that I understand you, because, I have just check most of the web pages on the wheelmen site and the logo on the top left, when clicked, in fact, already returns to the home page. And we have in the top Navigation, which also appears on almost all of the pages, has the first word in the menu, which is "Home", which also returns one to the home page. I am still going through the sections that have deep extra subpages. Perhaps some of these are missing the logo link to the home page. I will be on the lookout to find and repair any cases where the logo does not return the user to the home page.


quote:
Originally posted by Rambler

Mark,

Thank you for the progress update.

I do hope during the website updates that you can correct one issue I have always had with The Wheelmen website which is, when on any page it seems intuitive to me based on other websites that if I click on the "TheWheelmen" logo header on the top left of any page it should take me back to the main Wheelmen website home page regardless of which page I am currently on. The Wheelmen website header has never worked properly in this way so I must re-enter the Wheelmen URL every time I wish to return to the home page.

Thanks,
Tyson






Go to Top of Page

Admin

314 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  18:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news, everything but the "New Photos" and the "message board" are updated and working on the new server.

Mark W. Scherer



quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Good Day Everyone,

Here are a few updates about the website.

We are working on setting up a new server for the site. This is very important because the current server is out of date and will no longer be supported soon.

We now have anew server. At the moment the new server is essentially https://www.thewheelmen.com

You can still get to the site here also:
http://www.thewheelmen.org

If yo look closely the site is actually bouncing back and forth between the two sites depending on which page we have updated so far.

We have added redirects to old pages incase people have hard coded them on other sites or social media.

When all the move is done (in the future) both .com and .org will go to the exact same place.

The most important update so far is that all the pages that are tied to database tables are on the new site now. This is a very important upgrade.

Here are the database driven pages:

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/statedivisions/statedivisions.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/officers/officers.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/publications/bulletins.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/bicyclebrands/bicycle-brands-companies.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/swapmeets/swapmeets.php

https://www.thewheelmen.com/sections/events/events.php

Additionally all of the Bulletins are now live pages instead of pdf documents. This makes it easier to read and update.

More to come in the future with updates to the forum. The forum or message board updates are difficult to do for multiple reasons. We are trying to take in to consideration all of the current issues.

Mark W. Scherer

Go to Top of Page

Rex

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  07:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the work, Mark! Should be a great updated website when completed.

D. Rex Upshaw
Go to Top of Page

Giovanni LiCalsi

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  09:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you

Kind regards,
Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Craig Allen

1101 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  18:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as there is some enthusiasm going here to update everything, it would be nice if some kind generous Wheelmen member would take on the task of indexing the Wheelmen magazine and posting it on the Wheelmen publication page. It is a massive project for sure but it would benefit many. Every so often when someone asks a question here on the Wheelmen forum about whatever, something clicks in my mind and I think I know I saw something like that in the magazine but unfortunately can't remember exactly where. So I have to go through each issue one by one because I know it's there someplace. Having an index would be such a great time saver. Many years ago the Wheelmen Publication chairman used to sell indexes to the club membership but like so many other things in the club it fell by the way side.
Go to Top of Page

m-bike

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  22:16:53  Show Profile  Visit m-bike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Allen

As long as there is some enthusiasm going here to update everything, it would be nice if some kind generous Wheelmen member would take on the task of indexing the Wheelmen magazine and posting it on the Wheelmen publication page. It is a massive project for sure but it would benefit many. Every so often when someone asks a question here on the Wheelmen forum about whatever, something clicks in my mind and I think I know I saw something like that in the magazine but unfortunately can't remember exactly where. So I have to go through each issue one by one because I know it's there someplace. Having an index would be such a great time saver. Many years ago the Wheelmen Publication chairman used to sell indexes to the club membership but like so many other things in the club it fell by the way side.


An alternative suggestion would to put scanned copies on line and let Google index them. If you didn't want them accessible to the public, you could put them behind a paywall that gave access to the Google search bot.
Go to Top of Page

David Toppin

USA
3802 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  20:49:21  Show Profile  Send David Toppin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have some scanned copies if someone wants to do that.
Go to Top of Page

Craig Allen

1101 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  19:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any updates to report? I was asked some time back to update Wheelmen restoration bulletin #3. I've noticed that the old bulletin from 1994 is still listed. Also I have updated bulletin #3a which is a listing of club members who provide parts and services. This bulletin is not even listed on the available bulletins page.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Ponder

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is there a way to post pics yet? I would love to post a few from our parade Sunday.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.04