Wheelmen Talk
 An observation on mounting tires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Craig Allen

1101 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  08:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When mounting tires there is a general rule of thumb to use 2" of overlap for every 10" of wheel diameter. I've noticed on a number of occasions when remounting tires using the same rubber that I previously have done, the rubber seems to have a tendency to stay partially compressed so that the tire length ends up short. This can result in the tire opening up with a gap especially in changes of weather. When this happens I have cut the tire length in half and added a new and longer piece provided the old piece is not too worn down.

Joseph Martin

USA
2093 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  10:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig, I think I follow what you are doing to make up for the compression loss of length. You are adding a piece of rubber in the center some where. What would be your objection to merely adding this same piece at one end?
tony
Go to Top of Page

Craig Allen

1101 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  13:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Functionally there isn't anything wrong with what you suggest. I'm just coming from an aesthetics point of view. I'm taking one length of tire that is compressed, cutting it in half so that there are two joints more or less 180 apart. It is less noticeable than adding in a short piece. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Joseph Martin

USA
2093 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2018 :  13:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I reread your initial instructions, I had it wrong, you are saying you end up with two pieces of rubber tire, one going half way around, the second going a little more than the first half. There are two seams/connections 180 degrees apart. Yes that would look better then sticking in a short 2" piece at the connection. Thanks for the suggestion. After thinking this over some more, I'd rather use the old tire for a smaller wheel and install a nice new fresh compressible tire on the larger wheel. This is one of those topics we discuss while we wait for spring. Way above freezing today but down to 11 degrees again tomorrow Even my 5 chickens aren't happy!

Edited by - Joseph Martin on 01/29/2018 08:07:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page