OUR WEBSITE VS. SOCIAL MEDIA TAKING OVER
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike Cates

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  00:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IN A PERFECT WORLD ALL DUES PAYING MEMBERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO POST DISCUSSIONS/SELL/WANTED TOPICS AND POST PHOTOS ON OUR WEBSITE. IT SHOULD BE EASY TO USE FOR ALL MEMBERS, WHO MAY NOT BE ON SOCIAL MEDIA, OTHERWISE WE ARE DISCRIMINATING TO THE TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED (MYSELF INCLUDED). WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THINGS AS EASY TO USE AS OTHER SITES DO??? HAS ANYONE EVER CONTACTED THE WEBMASTERS OF THESE OTHER SITES (LIKE THE CABE, ETC) TO SEE "HOW" THEY SET UP THEIR WEBSITES SO WE COULD ALSO HAVE EASY POSTING OF PHOTOS? I'M SURE THEY ARE NOT PAYING THE PRICE THAT HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT US HAVING TO PAY.

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO:
(1)Sign in.
(2)Type out what you want to post.
(3) Add photos and submit?

If this "cost to upgrade our website" is what is holding things up, let's get creative here:
The Wheelmen could and should sponsor a yearly bicycle auction held in a centrally located state where a member has a barn or warehouse making it equidistant and easier for more members to travel to. This would also generate more attendance at these auctions and attract more interest in joining the club hopefully addressing what has been described in the past as "dying membership".
The club would receive a "fair percentage" of each auction item sold and this money would go directly towards things like: cost to run the auction, paying that state's sales tax, updating our antiquated website, general club expenses, funding expenses and fixed costs encountered for scheduled rides throughout the year, paying a webmaster, etc. In other words, the club would now be generating it's own revenue outside of membership dues and the monies would go back into the club treasury instead of to outside sources.
Look at any past bicycle auctions and just total up the buyer's premiums paid for all the auction items sold in the auction. Here we could have the money to do something for the club and being generated by the club year after year and remain within our non-profit organization guidelines. We would also not have to increase yearly membership dues which are the sole source to fund club operating expenses. Increasing dues would possibly perplex current dues paying members and make newbies less apt to join due to high or rising membership fees.

NOT TRYING TO STIR THINGS UP HERE BUT JUST TRYING TO GET US TO PUT ON OUR THINKING CAPS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANOTHER SUGGESTION, COMMENT OR ANSWER? IF NOT, WE'LL JUST KEEP SPINNING OUR WHEELS (NO PUN INTENDED!)

Respectfully,
Mike Cates, CA.

Edited by - Mike Cates on 01/15/2018 00:58:10

Craig Allen

1071 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  06:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cabe is set up nice. I don't even have a computer and yet with my smartphone all that is needed is to login, click the add photos button which takes it to my gallery where the photos are clicked on and they start to upload. Click insert photos and insert new thread and that's it.
For those in the club who enjoy social media we have the Wheelmen Facebook. For the rest of us who are not interested in social media having an updated and improved Wheelmen website setup like the Cabe would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Kidder

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  06:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Craig. I am not on Facebook and have no interest in starting now. The CABE site is super easy to use and post photos.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Williams

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  19:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm both on The Cabe & Rat Rod Bikes forums and a dummy like me, can post and load my photos easily! I usually load about 12 large photos in my threads with ease.There are no auctions or offers though. You post the price you need to get with shipping costs included or shipping to be determined on locality. Trades deals are also welcome.
( Mike Cates would have a field day with all of his "Gems"! )
A person might inquire who set their sites up and about how much it cost and the amount of time that required. Maybe it could be a one time fee for us Wheelmen and would draw other Antique bicycle collectors to this Wheelmen site.... People friendly.....

Edited by - Steve Williams on 01/15/2018 19:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Mike Cates

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  08:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just added another "GEM" to the For Sale list.
Mike Cates, CA.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Ponder

USA
309 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  19:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, why don't you talk to an auction house on that side of the country and see if that would be possible? I'm sure there would be one willing to try if there was enough interest. California has a large vintage cycling community. I know that to be a fact. Most guys on this side of the country I've talked to have told me they send 70-80% of everything they sell to CA. Should be a no brainer. You'll need to include balloon tire bikes though. I can give you some connections on that side if you're interested. Just send me a message.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Cates

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  11:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan,
I appreciate your efforts to help but my focus is to sell my bicycle collection as I have been doing. It is a slow process but for those who have purchased from me they found what they were looking for.
I am just stating that "if" The Wheelmen held their own auctions centrally located to most eastern states and being closer to the midwest, they would receive the profits and actually make money to cover existing and website expenses.
Antique bicycles have come to Calif for years because antique bicycles were never out here in the west in numbers compared to the east coast where most bicycles were produced, sold and ridden.
Also since antique bicycle auctions have historically been held in the eastern states. Folks there are used to this and don't mind traveling to them which has been done for decades. I don't think many people would travel from the east coast out to Calif in the attendance seen at these eastern auctions.
Another possibility for a Wheelmen auction could include online capabilities for bidding on auction items and then buyers don't have to travel at all.
The continued focus should be on future membership of the club and also it's financial stability. It only makes sense that the present and future generations of members be able to "at least" be comfortable in today's technology with an easy to use website. Not to mention the not so technically capable (myself included)being able to easily post pictures.
Thank you for your ideas.

Mike Cates, CA.

Edited by - Mike Cates on 01/19/2018 11:18:56
Go to Top of Page

Giovanni LiCalsi

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  19:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím in agreement with Mike. His idea is a progressive one and would benefit all parties, including a younger collector. I hope changes are made, before the collector hobby dies with the older collectors. Iím also for creating more interests in group rides, with more riders.
I am an older collector, at the age of 67. I hope we can all agree how important it is to hand down the hobby of collecting, restoring, conserving and riding these historical pieces of wheeled transportation vehicles, that have drastically changed our world, as we know it. After all, the suffragette movement would not have happened so soon without unchapperoned women out on bicycle excursions, that drastically changed womenís clothing fashions and lifestyles....

Kind regards,
Giovanni

Edited by - Giovanni LiCalsi on 01/19/2018 19:40:33
Go to Top of Page

William Corbett

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  15:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen on Google and Bluehost where you can start a website for as little as $695

I wonder what it would actually cost to get the ball rolling here for a new website!
Go to Top of Page

Admin

312 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  09:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All, this is Mark W. Scherer. I am currently working on moving thewheelmen web site to a new server. It is taking a lot of time. I am also setting up a new forum that will be modern and easy to use.

Here is my question, can we sacrifice everyone's old posts? Or leave up the old forum for a while and let every user, copy and paste stuff into the new forum.?

I think I have figured out how to move in all the usernames and passwords, so all the account would work on the new site. But moving all the old posts is looking like a very difficult task. By difficult, I mean, I don't know how to do it. Too many items that need to be mapped into the new system.

Mark W. Scherer
Go to Top of Page

Rambler

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  10:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

All, this is Mark W. Scherer. I am currently working on moving thewheelmen web site to a new server. It is taking a lot of time. I am also setting up a new forum that will be modern and easy to use.

Here is my question, can we sacrifice everyone's old posts? Or leave up the old forum for a while and let every user, copy and paste stuff into the new forum.?

I think I have figured out how to move in all the usernames and passwords, so all the account would work on the new site. But moving all the old posts is looking like a very difficult task. By difficult, I mean, I don't know how to do it. Too many items that need to be mapped into the new system.

Mark W. Scherer

Mark,
Just throwing this out there, would it be possible to leave the old posts as a stand alone frozen in time non-editable archive on the new Wheelmen website? I have from time to time found it useful for research to refer back to old posts from many years ago. Some of those people are even gone now so no way to recreate that knowledge. I'm all for starting over with a new forum for continuing discussions however just seems a shame to lose all that past knowledge if there is a way that it could be somehow archived. I don't profess to know what effort that would entail so if not possible I understand. Thank you for your efforts with moving the website into the 21st century.
Tyson
Go to Top of Page

goldcoastjon

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  00:11:34  Show Profile  Visit goldcoastjon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mark W. Scherer

Alameda, CA 94501
https://twitter.com/jonmspangler
https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastjon
Go to Top of Page

goldcoastjon

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  00:23:05  Show Profile  Visit goldcoastjon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark and all,

I am a brand new registered user and this is my first post. I can tell you this: the Classic Rendezvous (CR) discussion list moved to a Google Groups list several years ago and we have been largely quite happy with the new platform. (Our topics cover lightweight racing bicycles made up through 1983, but the issues we face are similar.)

A NOTE OF WARNING
We did lose all of our archives when the previous list owner decided to close up the old site soon after the Google Group launched. This has been a source of considerable anguish since then because those no-longer-available posts contained irreplaceable information put there by people who are no longer alive. If there is anything you can do to port, save, and maintain your list archives -- including making the effort to raise funds to get technical help with the porting/conversion process--I urge you to do that.

Jon Spangler
Alameda, California USA

quote:

Mark W. Scherer

Alameda, CA 94501
https://twitter.com/jonmspangler
https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastjon
Go to Top of Page

Ride the High Country

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  03:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not yet a member of the Wheelmen, so my opinion has no official standing. But I too think it would be a crime to let the existing messages on the forum disappear. Iíve read this forum regularly for many years, and often use the search function to find highly informative older threads.

If the old threads can not be imported to the new forum, nor left up as an archive, then perhaps they can be saved as a data base, and supplied to members on DVDs or USB memory sticks at a price that covers the cost. Still, it would be ideal to have this valuable information available to all on the internet, if possible.
Go to Top of Page

Joseph Martin

USA
2035 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  08:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Philip's opinion. For storing & disseminating the existing database of comments accumulated over the past 15 years I suggest 'flash drive' media, recently a bought a 'tera byte' flash drive stick large enough capacity to hold the complete current Thewheelmen website. I paid $12 for this stick, smaller capacity sticks are available for around $6 with free shipping. I'm sure many of us would be happy to pay the media cost in order buy a copy to use at our convenience.
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Giovanni LiCalsi

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be very wise to use crowdfunding KickStarter to raise funds for building the best website and maintenance. Why not have the best website design?

Kind regards,
Giovanni
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page