Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

John Skocdopole

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  20:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wheelmen started and grew before the internet or social media was invented just like the original League of American Wheelmen.

I was riding my RBR for 30 years and kept away due to all the anti repro talk. I did buy an original. But my Victory is the daily rider. I thank the Wheelmen to helping me grow in this fun hobby.
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1727 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  20:45:00  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A rather complex, pay-for system is being investigated for use by The Wheelmen that would take over a lot of what is being discussed and wished for.

The Wheelmen FaceBook area is a good alternative now.
Find it here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/56103504888/
If you're not in the group, hit the JOIN button and one of the admins will shortly approve you to join the group. Civil discourse is expected, of course.

There are many other areas of FaceBook that may be of interest to Wheelmen, such a:
Vintage and Antique Bicycles for Sale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1687042898182868/
BICYCLE RACING HISTORY: Pre-1930 Track Path Road Racers Tandems Tricycles
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BICYCLERACING/
BSA FITTINGS MACHINES. Pre-1920 BSA Bicycles
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pre1920sBSAFITTINGSBICYCLES/about/
and, yes, even children's machines
COASTER WAGONS, Irish Mails & Kids' Bicycles Tricycles & Riding Toys
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChildrensBicyclesTricyclesWagons/

These are just a few examples of what may be found on FaceBook. In addition, 'technical' discussions may be conducted on The Wheelmen group site linked way up above here.

Go to Top of Page

Alan Ponder

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2018 :  11:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To let this go much further with no resolution will assure that we'll soon be following the Dinosaurs down their well worn path.

Dick Rath, I respectfully have to disagree with that statement. At least here in Connecticut. Our state chapter is strong, and growing. We display bikes and get much interest. We have had parades with more than 15 participants. I'm starting to see some interest growing in Rhode Island too. Our chapter has several young high wheel riders. We're realizing we need to change some of our events to cater to the younger riders. They want to do longer rides. 8-10 miles. We're hoping to do that.

https://www.facebook.com/CT-Wheelmen-475700165950876/

The club isn't dead or dying. It has it's place inside of the summer activities most of us do that are related to old vehicles also. I think it's evolving. If we can't recognize the changes, listen to what the next generation wants and work towards that, then that path may change.

Edited by - Alan Ponder on 01/01/2018 11:36:26
Go to Top of Page

Alan Ponder

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2018 :  11:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To let this go much further with no resolution will assure that we'll soon be following the Dinosaurs down their well worn path.

Dick Rath, I respectfully have to disagree with that statement. At least here in Connecticut. Our state chapter is strong, and growing. We display bikes and get much interest. We have had parades with more than 15 participants. I'm starting to see some interest growing in Rhode Island too. Our chapter has several young high wheel riders. We're realizing we need to change some of our events to cater to the younger riders. They want to do longer rides. 8-10 miles. We're hoping to do that.

The club isn't dead or dying. It has it's place inside of the summer activities most of us do that are related to old vehicles also. I think it's evolving. If we can't recognize the changes, listen to what the next generation wants and work towards that, then that path may change.
Go to Top of Page

Dick Rath

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  12:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While Alan makes his case based largely on his experience with the Connecticut chapter I continue to believe we are making a huge mistake in neglecting to upgrade our web site. In particular the difficulty that so many members have posting pictures simply cannot be ignored. The written discourse we see between our members would be greatly enhanced were we better able to include pictures, diagrams, and drawings to illustrate our thoughts, opinions, experiences, frustrations, technical problems and solutions and, of course, pictures of bicycles, parts, and accessories we want to sell or purchase.
Imagine eBay or Craigslist or even The Copake Bicycle Auction without clear pictures of items being offered for sale or put up for bids.

While many of our chapters are restricted in their out-of-doors activity by the seasonal weather in their part of the world, their membership remain very active year round both socially and in their hands-on involvement with their particular interest in the machines they ride, collect, admire, maintain, improve, restore and conserve. To be able to convey clearly to fellow members what they are up to in any and all aspects of our common interests is one of the great benefits and joys of computers and the internet.

Why would we hesitate to use every means available to us to improve the experience of belonging to our unique organization? Certainly there may be members or potential members that might care very little about posting pictures however I would wager that logging onto a web site that was filled with clear illustrations and pictures of the things they have a deep and abiding interest in would dramatically enhance their enjoyment of belonging to or joining our group.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Ponder

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  19:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed.
Go to Top of Page

David Toppin

USA
3799 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  22:13:38  Show Profile  Send David Toppin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree things need to change, but things don't change fast around here!
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1727 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  22:54:30  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As for ease of loading photos, FaceBook is very easy.
If you are hesitant about getting an account open to the world, there are privacy settings you can set up to limit your exposure.
You can join the sites you want to watch and participate with.
You can befriend those you want, and not befriend those you don't want.
You can unfriend someone.
You can block a person.
You can upload a photo or group of photos.

Even if you don't have a FaceBook account yet, take a look at the Wheelmen FaceBook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/56103504888/
You will see a note about getting an account to be able to post and comment. JUST LIKE HERE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. You can look but not post stuff.
As I mentioned in another message here, there are a number of related pages and groups on FaceBook that are of interest to Wheelmen.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page