Wheelmen Talk
 Uniform patterns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kevin

86 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  22:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a local tailor that is willing to make proper breeches and an ornate sack coat, with frogging as in many old photographs.
Is there a resource or any advice for accurate patterns and materials?

Craig Allen

1054 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  04:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wheelmen Bulletin #5 will give you some general overall pointers on the Wheelmen uniform.
You can try www.trulyvictorian.net for sewing patterns. A Google search will turn up alternatives. Historical Emporium also has ready made Victorian era clothing but they don't have knee breeches suitable for bike riding although they have a large selection of trousers that can be tailored and converted into breeches with suspenders. If you are riding a highwheel bike, just from a safety aspect, you don't want knee breeches that are baggy around the legs and above the knees like they were in the 1920's or '30's as it can interfere with mounting and riding the bike. Clothing materials were typically cotton, flannel, or even a lightweight wool suitable for the summertime.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin

86 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  06:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information Craig.
That sack coat pattern will be of great help.
I love Historical emporium and have a lot of their items. Unfortunately their trousers donít come in blue. My guy will be able to copy them to match the coat. Iím definitely avoiding those baggy knickerbockers.
Itís going to be expensive having this made so I want everything to be as accurate as possible.
I appreciate the input!
Go to Top of Page

Craig Allen

1054 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome. I forgot to mention that Delp Stockings has stockings that pull up above the knees. I'm not sure if they have navy blue as of this date but they have a dark blue. It might be easier getting white stockings and dye them to the desired shade. The lightweight cotton come in a variety of colors.
www.delpstockings.com
They cater more to the Revolutionary War crowd but since this style of stockings lasted well into the Victorian age, it won't make any difference at all.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin

86 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  17:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Allen

You are welcome. I forgot to mention that Delp Stockings has stockings that pull up above the knees. I'm not sure if they have navy blue as of this date but they have a dark blue. It might be easier getting white stockings and dye them to the desired shade. The lightweight cotton come in a variety of colors.
www.delpstockings.com
They cater more to the Revolutionary War crowd but since this style of stockings lasted well into the Victorian age, it won't make any difference at all.

I already took your advice from last year and bought three pair of them. They look fantastic!
Go to Top of Page

brad drexler

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  14:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, check out Levis 511. They fit tight through the calve but are elastic so they bend at the knee. I know they come in a dark grey, tan or brown and black. Not sure about blue but probably. Much cheaper than having them made.
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1727 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  20:11:37  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As for socks, I have been pleased with four pairs of heavy and cotton stockings from J. A. Townsends. They are tall! They go well above my knees and I am 6' 6".

Heavy Cotton
http://www.townsends.us/heavy-cotton-stockings-sp757-p-240.html
Available in Forest Green, Black, Off-white, Charcoal Gray, Maroon, White, Dark Brown and Navy.

Cotton
http://www.townsends.us/cotton-stockings-sp754-p-238.html
Choose white, red, light blue, brown, black, green, maroon , off white, camel or navy.
Go to Top of Page

brad drexler

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  08:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also check out socks used with baseball knickers available at any sporting goods store.
Go to Top of Page

Greg Barron

USA
1423 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  14:37:24  Show Profile  Visit Greg Barron's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone in the Wheelmen once told me that I should go look in the women's department for long socks. Turns out they were right. Did you know that there are socks made for women that are made to go all the way over their knees?! I know right? So, was I ever surprised when I went looking and found those socks! And, since a sock is a sock is a sock, (unless they are extra long) I got some and tried them and low and behold, they fit. Long, black or blue or gray wool socks that went past my knee and stayed in my knickers. Though to be fair, being that I'm a man, my knickers wouldn't be like a ladies knickers historically speaking. Those would be underthings. Mine are britches. So, go look! I bet you'll find some too! As to proper riding breeches, I have a guy in Southern Ca that makes period movie clothing and costuming. I recently received 2 pair of riding breeches that are great. Buckle back waist, duck canvass, full seat, reinforced. http://www.mralanjeffries.com/ He also made me a nice waistcot to go with.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin

86 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  16:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the new information!

I received the sack coat pattern from truly Victorian. Itís very comprehensive! Even giving layouts for the most efficient use of fabric. Iím going to go ahead and order the pattern for knee breeches next.
My tailor is very excited about the project. I was thinking about duck canvas, but he likes the idea of lightweight wool.

The only thing I am not sure about is what sort of cording they used for the ornate frogging across the front and filigree on the sleeves. It looks like fabric but I read somewhere that they used leather too.

Edited by - Kevin on 12/21/2017 16:17:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page