Wheelmen Talk
 2018 Annual Meet notes and ramblings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  15:49:15  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today, I rode my Expert around the 12.5 mile lap for century riding at next year's meet centered in Oberlin, Ohio. My Garmin traces for the ride today looks like this:

This is not mountainous, min to max is 100'.

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  16:03:44  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To plan a century route for Wheelmen there are many factors to bear in mind. One big factor is the length of a lap, where inexperienced or younger riders may shy away from starting out on a second 50-mile long lap. On the other hand, more experienced riders would prefer to get out and ride a longer distance.

So, there may be two laps from which to choose, 12.5 miles and 25 miles. The longer route would extend southward from the above route and go through a town 10 miles from Oberlin.

Other factors that were considered are simplicity of the route, preferably right-hand turns, traffic density, and road conditions.

The above route is pretty simple, I hope no-one would get lost or misplaced on it. Riding clockwise means turns are right-hand so as to avoid turning across traffic.

This route has country roads in good condition with a few potholes and very light traffic among the farms and fields. With some small rivers / big streams through the area, there are some ups and downs, but nothing too serious.

COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE WELCOME!
I always want an enjoyable route for bicycle rides I create.

Go to Top of Page

Craig Allen

1032 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  17:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This 12 mile lap closely resembles the century ride during the 1987 national meet in Auburn, Indiana. The morning was humid, but later on as the afternoon winds started kicking in, one of the stretches on the "rectangle", the wind was on the back and it felt like you were flying.
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  17:57:44  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Craig, wind can be blessing or a curse for rides of this nature. I've thought about creating not one but two version of this route - clockwise and counter-clockwise to be chosen that day based on the weather (i.e. wind direction) forecast! The Hughes Road stretch is more open and unbroken than the Trail & Hamilton Road segment.

We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  18:09:59  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are some photos from today while looking for some photo op spots.

Memorial Arch on Tappan Square.

There are some old buildings on campus. This one from 1885 is a good backdrop for my 1885 Expert.

The Johnson House is a dorm for select students on campus. I've asked if we can do the group photo on the front lawn here. What do you think?

Go to Top of Page

brad drexler

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  04:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, well the century ride start and end at the campus?
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  11:32:13  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The start indicated on the map is a Splash Zone swimming pool water park baseball soccer fields county park sort of thing. My thinking is we have check-in / check-out for laps there to avoid the one-mile ride and increased traffic by going into town each time. That ride to campus is a smooth road with no stop signs so it's no trouble to go back and forth.

If people would prefer to have check-in on campus, the route can continue on the trail another mile-plus. Or the trail segment may be used if a rider wants to go to campus on that lap.

Riding to campus looks like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/K19ueA49qkz

The route I showed looks like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/MUTkiEGctvQ2
Go to Top of Page

Tim Schmidt

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  05:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, That dorm lawn looks like a good spot for the photo. Tim
Go to Top of Page

Carey Williams

856 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  09:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Richard so roughly climbing 800 feet for the century ? ..that seems a bit much for Ohio ....thought you had flat land out there ..
Go to Top of Page

Craig Allen

1032 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  17:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That elevation graph kinda looks like Monument Valley out in Arizona. John Wayne country, Stagecoach, The Searchers. ..
Go to Top of Page

bjd.

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  23:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks to me like you/we would start at 800, descend to 750, and the eventually climb up to 850 before ending back at 800. That gives a 100' total altitude change in 12 miles! Pretty even ride to me!

Bill Dizer
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  19:50:16  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The plan is to have some educational workshops / hands-on seminars on various topics for passing along tips, techniques, and information from the experienced Wheelmen to others, both new and old members.

Currently, the list of topics and presenter includes these:
1. Making cheater wheels, Bill Smith
2. Fashion for Women, Men, Children; June Dizer, Cathy Smith, & Rosie Skocdopole
3. Leather Saddle Work - Dave Toppin
4. Tire types and the bicycles they belong to - Paul Rubenson
5. Cycling books and Steins Lou Schultz
6. Installing tires
...a. Method A, TBD - Volunteer?
...b. Method B, TBD - Volunteer?
...c. Method C, TBD - Volunteer?
7. Nickel Plating
8. Bells and annunciators, proper period and bicycle
9. We will have samples of Noah Stutzman's wood rims, fenders, and chain guards to see, touch, and feel.

Any other volunteers and/or topics?
Let me know, please.

Richard DeLombard
Meet Captain

Edited by - DeLombardR on 08/28/2017 19:52:48
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  07:53:14  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In preparing for a meeting with my Oberlin College contact, I was reminded that the dorm rooms INCLUDE LINENS!

They will provide two sheets, pillow, pillow case, towel, and blanket. She did say, though, that these are not your typical 'beach towel', but rather on the smallish size. So, you might want to bring your own bath towel and blanket.

And yes, the dorms are air conditioned!

Edited by - DeLombardR on 09/07/2017 08:20:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page