Wheelmen Talk
 banked bicycle tracks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  18:33:24  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In what year did banked bicycle tracks begin?
Was it in the 1890's with safety bicycles? Or later with lighter-weight bicycles?

John Skocdopole

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  03:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Velodrome at Preston Park, England is thought to be the oldest cycle track in the UK, having been built in 1877. Some early banked tracks were built for other sports.

(specifics of photos not found at this time)

Go to Top of Page

m-bike

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  14:32:53  Show Profile  Visit m-bike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DeLombardR

In what year did banked bicycle tracks begin?
Was it in the 1890's with safety bicycles? Or later with lighter-weight bicycles?

According to an article in the Detroit Free Press (April 17, 1892):
  • The LAW recently accepted records set on a board track
  • There are no board tracks of note in the US. Nothing is said about banked tracks.
  • There were two tracks to be built in Detroit that summer: a board track and a clay one. I'm not sure either got built.

Go to Top of Page

Joseph Martin

USA
2001 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  16:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting topic, back when the Hanlon Brothers tried to resurrect an old motorcycle brand, I did a lot of research on the history of motorcycles. Seems according to the research, bicycle racing on board tracks was a popular form of entertainment and reached the point of being the most popular sport in the country. The interesting aspect I read was bicycle riders were pushed by motorcycles (bicycles with motors added). This pushing occurred at the start of the race then cyclists road on their own unaided. Spectators liked the motorcycles as much as the bicycles, so, soon the motorcycles began their own races on board tracks. There you have it ladies and gentlemen, the story/history of board tracks.
Go to Top of Page

DeLombardR

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  19:33:57  Show Profile  Visit DeLombardR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, folks.
So, including an optional visit to the Cleveland Velodrome next summer is not too far off-base.

If enough interest is shown, I will see if we can schedule some time and instruction!
http://clevelandvelodrome.org/
Go to Top of Page

Mike Cates

USA
1715 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  21:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photograph offered on ebay. Something doesn't look right about some of the bicycles if they are supposed to be racing bicycles having a suspended saddle? Also the attire and straw hat of the men pushing the bicycles who are obviously not the riders but maybe the trainers or bicycle sponsors? Attire of the crowd? Maybe it was just a group of men in the infield pushing their high wheel bicycles after taking a lap for the crowd honoring the high wheel bicycle. Maybe this wasn't at a bicycle race but rather an automobile race and the cyclists put on a presentation like the modern Wheelmen have done at Indianapolis Speedway? Something seems anachronistic.
Click on this link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-Original-HIGH-WHEEL-BICYCLE-Bike-PHOTOGRAPH-Photo-WHEELER-Penny-STADIUM-/352092920918?hash=item51fa5f9c56:g:TmgAAOSwWxNYnjvM

Mike Cates, CA.

Edited by - Mike Cates on 07/13/2017 21:44:51
Go to Top of Page

Kurt S.

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  06:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Photo.

I just came across an interesting article while searching for information on the “American Bicycle Company” the Trust of 1899. I have been attempting to get a feel for what it was. This article came up but it is NOT the “ABC TRUST” but an earlier company that happened with the same name. In as much I think it does relate to the question of early banked tracks.

This is an article written in the” Bicycle World & Archery Field”, 18 March, 1881. I believe this describes ever so briefly a banked indoor ½ mile track.

Ref:
https://archive.org/stream/bicyclingworldar25bost#page/n159/mode/2up/search/American+Bicycle+Company

[/URL]

Kurt J. Schaak
kurtschaak@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Kurt S.

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  07:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't New Haven Conneticut the same town where Peirre Lallement rode to in 1865 and started all this? Interesting place.

Kurt J. Schaak
kurtschaak@yahoo.com

Edited by - Kurt S. on 09/09/2017 07:23:52
Go to Top of Page

Kurt S.

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  08:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May of 1880, Opening of the track in New Haven;

[/URL]

Kurt J. Schaak
kurtschaak@yahoo.com