Stands Suitable For Antique Safeties?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ride the High Country

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  04:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any stands currently available that are appropriate for early safety bicycles? Apart from the cast iron replicas on eBay, which donít look very secureó

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Style-Cast-Iron-Bike-Tire-Stand-Heavy-/352038116749?hash=item51f71b5d8d:g:4K0AAOSwX~dWiYmK

óI have found nothing that is aesthetically suitable, or even simply unobtrusive.

Looking through these forums, I saw that the wooden Ajax folding standsó

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/7272539

https://www.google.com/patents/US537583?dq=bicycle

ówere once reproduced by a Wheelman. Is anything like this currently available?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

David Toppin

USA
3789 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  06:28:37  Show Profile  Send David Toppin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Ajax stands were reproduced by James MacKenzie, who has unfortunately passed away.
Go to Top of Page

David Brown

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  08:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made the Ajax stands for all my bikes and they work great so long as you don't have a front fender. If you want I can make a paper pattern and mail it to you .Very easy to make with some wood working skills.I have made them for Mens and ladies You can adjust the pattern to work with front fenders.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ride the High Country

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  03:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

My 1893 PTS is with Craig Allen for restoration, but will have a front fender. I take it that the upper half of the wheel cut-out on an Ajax style stand could be enlarged, to accommodate the fender, though this might necessitate using a wider board.

You mentioned that you have made these stands for ladiesí cycles. Those must lack the upper support for the top tube. And it occurs to me that even for menís cycles, the upper support section would not actually be needed, though it undoubtedly provides more secure support.

Since the stands work with ladiesí cycles, do you think that they will work for my 26Ē juvenile cycle without dimensional alteration?

I would be very grateful for a pattern or drawing with dimensions. Iíll send you an e-mail message with my contact information, via this forum.
Go to Top of Page

David Brown

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  03:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the ladies do lack the upper part that the mens have.I have a ladies with 26 inch wheels that takes the stand i made. And yes I just used a wider board for the bike with front fender.The thing I like about these stands is you can spin the wheels and they are off the ground. If you want just email me at bikehike@rogers.com
Go to Top of Page

Dick Rath

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  15:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I bought a half dozed folding steel stands that firmly support the bike by it's rear axle. They are similar in design and appearance to the permanent drop stands used on many bike during the 1930's thru 40's. As I recall they were about $30. each and were purchased thru eBay. While the may not be pretty they do the job better than any stands i've used.
I believe I saw them again on eBay as recently as 3 months ago but now the price had poped up to $39.00.....still a bargain in my view
Go to Top of Page

Ride the High Country

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  01:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the suggestions. And by the way, that is a beautiful bicycle!

Iíve been hoping to find a stand that is both aesthetically consistent with the period of the bicycle, and secure as well. The Ajax stand is especially appealing because it is made of wood, is light, folds when not in use, and perhaps most importantly: as Dave states above, both wheels are off the ground.

There are some cast-iron original stands similar to the replica I cited above, but those had additional supports made of bent steel rod, which cradle the wheel and prevent the cycle from tipping over. I have been unable to find either originals or replicas of these.

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/8907143

But I think I prefer the Ajax, even though it may cover the cycle more, from the perspective of display.

Dave, I sent you an e-mail message via the forum contact function, right after posting the above reply, but evidently it did not get through. Iíll write directly to the address you provided.
Go to Top of Page

KristineMcNary

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  01:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you do a digital version of the Ajax pattern? as I would like a copy too.
Go to Top of Page

David Brown

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  05:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
email me your mailing address and I will mail you one.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ward Benjamin

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  22:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my 1903 Racycle Cushion Frame Roadster sitting on it's Elmira Cycle stand of the same vintage.

Sorry, I just re-read the OP's question, looking for a stand "currently available", I'm sorry, I posted mine as what I feel is a good design......

Restoring my Racycle

Edited by - Ward Benjamin on 06/22/2017 19:12:35
Go to Top of Page

KristineMcNary

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  12:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Brown

email me your mailing address and I will mail you one.
Dave

sorry, for the late response, my email is mcnary@minn.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2017 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page