New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Glenn Eames

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  17:16:25  Show Profile  Visit Glenn Eames's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, I thought I would share a recent bicycle re-hab we have done here at The Old Spokes Home in Burlington Vt. The bike is a pre WW1 Peerless.We have left the paint as is. At the suggestion of some folk on another antique/classic bike forum we used modern Velocity P35 rims and 700c tires {thanks friends at the C.A.B.E.}. These rims are available in a wood grain finish as well colors. This is a good way to get a safety back on the road if the wood rims are shot {save the old rims/spokes though}. If you are interested in having a bicycle shop to do this for you please contact us.

http://www.oldspokeshome.com/blog

Thanks, Glenn

oxfordrider

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  18:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie Harper has been doing this for a while. I have a set of the woodgrain one from him and they look pretty real.
Go to Top of Page

bjd.

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  19:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you search the subject, there are photos of my Duchess with the new rims and tires.

Bill Dizer
Go to Top of Page

Frank Wadelton

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  19:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is supposed to be a guy in S. America who is making quality wood rims at a very reasonable cost. I think around $80.00 or so.

Let me see if I can locate that information.

frankwadelton@comcast.net
Go to Top of Page

Rex

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  00:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Velocity, an Australian company (and affiliate, Velocity USA in Michigan) at one time made 3 different rims of wood appearance - woodgrain, teak and burl. Also, I know 2 Italian companies that make wooden rims - Ghisallo and CBITA. They both used to sell on eBay (maybe still do) and had rims for both clinchers and sew-ups in 700c. Think they also had 26" mountain bike rims. Some 700c would handle 38mm width, I think. I bought Roubaix 700c sew-up rims directly from Italy for my Renovo wooden bike, so I could have them stained walnut. www.cbita.it My bike is made up of 4 natural woods, but rims are usually made of ash or hickory which is lighter than I wanted. CBITA offers many wood stains.

D. Rex Upshaw

Edited by - Rex on 01/12/2012 00:47:39
Go to Top of Page

Rambler

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  07:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Noah Stutzman of ( Stutzman's Wheel Shop) number is 330-897-1391 (ext-1) Noah produces 28" wood rims and other wood parts such as fenders & chain guards. His work is first class. I had him specially make a fender and chain guard for me based on my drawings, photos, and dimensions. It came out excellent, looking very much like the original equipment. Noah is a pleasure to deal with and very knowledgeable in his craft.
Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Carey Williams

566 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  11:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glenn's bike looks great with the new rims and off white tires. Mixing new with old to retain the original look yet ride with the confidence of new readily available tires.

I too can speak the praises of Noah Stutzman and his wheel shop. Noah was more than willing to take on one off projects and complete them in short order with outstanding craftsmanship. Noah was able build a 56" and a 18" rim ( the use on a very late presumed Columbia pneumatic racing ordinary). The task he made special cutter for the couture of the rim matching the original rim for the inner surface and matching profile for use of Greentyres on the outer. The finished rims in white oak are lovely. Once the bike is together I post photos.
The Greentyres ( available in England ) using the commuter style ( the least aggressive tread pattern) are a solid airless tire that Joeff used whilst he pedaled around the world. The tire has a nylon thread embedded on the inside so the tire can be cut opened to sew another tire butted with glue so custom tires of any size can be created. Check out their web site at http://www.greentyre.co.uk/26inch.html . Using the 26 x 1 3/8"
In a perfect world a smooth tire of off white would be available but the greentyres are light, durable , ride well, so offer a way to get those odd sized pneumatics back on the road.
Recently viewing a 1891 English bicycle rubber catalog tires offered in red , white, gray, and black . Pedal rubber in drab ( presumed natural rubber color)and red. Tires were available smooth or ribbed.
Cheers Carey

Go to Top of Page

David Brown

Canada
151 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  15:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought 2 pair of www.cbita.it wood rims a year ago and they are great .They take the 700C tire or 28 13/8 x 1 5/8 .Dunlop 28 x 1 1/2 Canadian size also fit if you can find old stock tires. I liked them because you can get spoke hole 28 32 36 or 40 . If you look in there gallery you will see my 1897 Columbia that has there rims on it. This bike is in the UK now .
Go to Top of Page

David Toppin

USA
3270 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  21:25:14  Show Profile  Send David Toppin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glenn, that bike looks great! Why not post the cost to do that here? Assuming we have hubs, how much for the spokes, rims, nipples and how much to build the wheels?
Go to Top of Page

bjd.

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  21:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great bike! In 1914 sears sold a complete wheel and Sturmey Archer tri coaster "S" as a kit to "modernize" your old bike. I have an "S" on an 1894 Crescent #1 that my dad used to ride the Erie to Buffalo century, in 2001. He made it despite the heat and was 79 and a half at the time. I rode my 1898 rambler with a modern tricoaster in it, and made it as well.

Bill Dizer
Go to Top of Page

Glenn Eames

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  14:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Glenn Eames's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave and all, Thanks for the complements re: the Peerless. MSRP on these Velocity rims, as pictured, is $99 each - add $36 per wheel for spokes and $40 build up = $175 per wheel w/o tires or rim strips.
Thanks, Glenn
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence Wach

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  19:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the Ghisallo wood rims with cream 700 x 40c Amsterdam tires. I had them pinstriped myself, available through Wheelfanatyk@blogspot.com. These are wonderful to ride on. These are not a cheap way to go, but they make this bike a rider again. Ric at Wheelfanatyk did all the lacing/trueingwith my old vintage hubs I didn't even have to re-plate them.
Go to Top of Page

Blaise Faber

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  20:10:28  Show Profile  Visit Blaise Faber's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence Wach

These are the Ghisallo wood rims with cream 700 x 40c Amsterdam tires. I had them pinstriped myself, available through Wheelfanatyk@blogspot.com. These are wonderful to ride on. These are not a cheap way to go, but they make this bike a rider again. Ric at Wheelfanatyk did all the lacing/trueingwith my old vintage hubs I didn't even have to re-plate them.

Pretty sure you meant http://wheelfanatyk.blogspot.com/ not an email address! Heard a lot of good things about their wooden rims.

http://bygonebicyclist.com
cladnin@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Rex

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  20:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the airplane best, of course!

D. Rex Upshaw
Go to Top of Page

Dick Rath

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2012 :  12:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree 110% with Tyson (Rambler) that Noah Stutzman does terrific work; but I would like to take my own endorsement a step further and explain: My first project with Noah ( whose business is called Noah's Wheel Shop) was a simple pair if 28" wood rims to accept a set of Harper 1 3/4 inch single tube smooth safety tires. When I received them in about two weeks I was stunned by the craftsmanship.....they were perfect! Next I asked Noah if he could produce a pair of 28" clincher rims for me if I sent him a detailed profile drawing which included all pertinent measurements. He told me he would do his best and, sure enough, what I received was another set of perfectly produced rims crafted by a master craftsman. The cost for the standard single tube rims was $80.00 each and for the custom Clincher rims, $110.00 each. All that is required after you get your rims from Noah is a light sanding and 5 or 6 coats of a quality marine grade varnish. Noah's shop is in Baltic, Ohio so, buy American......you will not be disappointed. Best of all, Noah is an absolute first class gentleman.
Go to Top of Page

Will Cress

Ireland
2 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I now produce 28 inch wooden rims for tubular tires and sell them via my website. In june I hope to also off wooden clincher rims of various sizes. They are all made in the USA ( Portland OR ) Have a look www.sacroboscorims.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Wheelmen © 2001-2014 The Wheelmen. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page